Sunday 22 August 2010

In Memory

This blog is somewhere for me to write down things in my head, I think putting things down in words can help a lot sometimes. That's exactly what today's will be for. This isn't going to be a nice, cheery and fun post, if you'd like that I have countless others here to read.

It's been a year to the day since the worst day of my life, and outside my family I don't think I've really talked about it to a single person. This time last year my Grandma died from cancer, it was the first time I've lost anyone that I was close to. She was one of the most amazing people I've known and I still miss her.

You'd have been hard-pressed to find another grandparent who doted on her grandchildren as much as she did, she lived and breathed for family, nothing else seemed to matter. I remember when I was little I would ride round on my bike in summer to see her and my Grandad and if I was ever upset with Mum and Dad it was her that I cried for.

The last time I ever saw her I told her I'd got a place at medical school, the last thing she told me was 'I'm so proud of you.' To the very last she was selfless and thought other people's happiness was just as important as her own, if not more so. It might be a cliche, but if I could be half the person she was, it would be my greatest achievement in life. I'd give anything to talk to her just one more time.

I love you.

No comments: