Sunday 13 June 2010

Quote Day #1

I'm not doing nearly as many posts since I've got home, that's because I don't need to use this as an excuse to get out of work any more, so this will probably pick up again when I get back in September. But, I'll do my best to still write a few if anything comes up.


And as a way to come up with easy ideas for posts I figured every so often I'll put up my favourite quotes from various places. I do love a good quote. As this is the first one I'l give you my all time favourite, from my favourite book 1984 [Prepare for philosophical babbling] - 




'The sky was the same all over the world, and the people under the sky were all very much the same - hundreds of thousands of millions of people, ignorant of one another's existence, held apart by walls of hatred and lies, yet almost exactly the same.' - George Orwell


I really like this, the book as a whole is great and this just about sums up what I think is the biggest message in it. Its my favourite because if you understand and agree with it then you instantly see why inequality is so wrong, why sexism, racism, homophobia and any kind of stereotyping is just so ignorant. Everyone's so similar, everyone lives on the same planet with the same sky, but people choose to pretend that people they disagree with are somehow not like them, that they're somehow not the same kind of human. 




Next time anyone tries to be casually racist (a good indicator is if they start a sentence with 'I'm not a racist but..') about immigrants or they suggest that some people deserve to be treated differently, try remembering this quote. 


Philosophical rant over.

No comments: